As Statistical Methods pointed out in their comment on my post, the methodology I used when I proposed that the Prelims graph’s degree distribution was scale free is outdated and not conclusive. This afternoon I decided to take a fresh look at the data following the methodology of Clausset et. al using the Python Powerlaw library. After fitting the data and plotting the probability density function, I evaluated the goodness of fit of the power law distribution through comparisons to the fit of other distributions. The results indicated that a power law distribution may not be the best fit (although a better than an exponential distribution), and a better fit might be a stretched exponential distribution (p > .05). In the following figure you can see the actual data (blue line), a power law fit (red dotted line), a log normal fit (green dotted line), and a stretched exponential fit (blue dotted line). More about this in a couple of weeks.
Monthly Archives: October 2013
Over the last year, I have been focused on studying networks at the CulturePlex, and it has been a heck of a learning process. After reading over my older posts, I’ve begun to realize that it is time to start updating my methods as I learn more about programming and statistics. My next blog post (June 22) will describe the renovated and re-focused Preliminaries Project as it will be presented in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
As I mentioned in my last post, I have been working on a small Python library to simplify visualization for use with the up and coming Preliminaries interactive website. Surprisingly, after I published it on PyPi two weeks ago, quite a few people installed it. To my horror, version 0.1.0 had a bug, if it got you I apologize. Tonight I will be releasing version 0.1.6, in which I have added very basic support for Matplotlib. Of course there is a lot to do, and hopefully as the year goes on my releases and testing and docs will get better and better. For now it’s pretty minimal. Check out a full usage example here:
source is here
It’s a new school year and the Preliminaries Project is alive and well. After a having a great time and meeting some cool folks at DH2013, it’s time to move forward and think about plans for the future.
Later this month at the Sixteenth Century Society and Conference in San Juan, we will be presenting a new look at the Prelims data set called Networks of Culture: A Graph-Driven Approach to Understanding Publishing in the Spanish Golden Age. This will be a more expansive look at publication in the Spanish Empire from 1598-1643,
Later this week I will publish several examples using Sonnet to produce custom D3 graphs. Until then…Python Rules!